Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My job

Okay - I returned to work last night after taking five days off. I have no idea why my personality seems to attract everyone, and says that I can solve problems. Hey let me solve your problem! Even if you are not in my department! Heck I can even help the union do better, because the employees don't trust them, but trust your supervisor. Scary.
I was a leader in a union for an airline for five years. Talk about brutal. We were the most unhappy people, that hated our jobs. Actually I loved my job, hated the way we had to treat passengers and their luggage just to get the majority of people to where they need to go. Management did not help.
Now I work for the local transit company, and moved into management. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I have been here for eighteen months and have really enjoyed the job. Right now I have no fear that I will be laid off. My check still comes to me, and it is never wrong. Meaning I still get the majority of it, and don't have to wait to get the rest of it the next payday. My boss is awesome, letting me do what I need to do to take care of the work and crew.
Back to last night. It is nearly impossible to get yourself in trouble here unless you really don't care. I mean REALLY DON'T CARE. Basically the more serious stuff, like sexual harassment and safety issues will get you in hot water and more than likely terminated. The big issues with my crew is that someone doesn't want to help and be a team player. I had half the crew come talk to me. Little complaints. I take them serious. One employee had had enough. He was yelling and swearing. It was very belligerent. I wasn't sure where he was trying to go with it. He was yelling about another employee who has had people do their job for them until recently, and they were disciplined for minor stuff (missed days) that was getting serious, that very night. Domino effect. Then he started on the other supervisors. Little did he know it was me that was making the decision that actually helped in the long run.
So I hope I live up to their expectations as a problem solver. I guess when they stop coming to me, I will know that I suck at my job. The employee that was yelling stopped after I got after them and came to me later. Just frustration. It all worked out. I still love this job.

No comments: